Aug 19, 2020 Venue News

Embassy Theatre Survival Appeal

Dear friends,

It feels like a long time since we last spoke, and even longer since we saw each other. Summer in Skegness just isn’t the same without our summer season line-up.

The Covid-19 crisis has dealt us (the Embassy Theatre) a devastating blow and we urgently need your help.

Since we closed on March 23rd all of our income has dried up. We have cut our costs and taken advantage of every government-backed scheme available to us. Public money accounts for less than 5% of our £1.3 million annual turnover and we work hard every year for the remaining 95% through ticket sales, bar income and event hire. Proudly relying on earned income as we do, it’s been devastating, not just financially but for our future ambitions to bring you – our community, an inspirational and diverse programme.

We’ve spent weeks and months exploring all possible options, but now the Embassy Theatre has been forced to begin a redundancy consultation. This wasn’t an easy decision but we’ve had to start this process in the hope that we can save at least some jobs and begin looking forward – we hope that if we act now we will stand a better chance of survival. We have to protect the future of Our Theatre.

This year we have lost our entire calendar and sadly, this will also include our proudly produced pantomime too.

We have successfully re-booked the majority of touring shows into 2021 and 60% of existing sales too, thanks to you our loyal and trusting audience who have agreed to join us again! I can’t express how thankful we are for this; you have thrown us a lifeline and given us the commitment we needed to continue making plans for our return. Please continue booking your tickets, making plans to visit us and our host of talented artistes in 2021. The live entertainment industry globally is relying on you to make a comeback.

Even when the government does announce that venues like the Embassy can open, current social distancing measures mean it just isn’t financially viable for us to do so. Social distancing reduces our audience capacity from over a thousand to anywhere between one and three hundred depending on household sizes. Once you add in the extra staffing and cleaning costs, it just doesn’t add up – for us, or for our performers.

The next few months will be crucial for our survival.

Despite this, we are exploring other re-opening options so that we can present some kind of programme until such time as social distancing measures are fully lifted. However, to deliver any of those, we will need your financial support as all of them will require some level of subsidy.

We have an important role to play in the recovery of Skegness and the wider area in the months ahead and we can do that with your help.

Setting aside our significant losses this year, we do have an opportunity to re-open in the months ahead to deliver a limited programme and start planning for a better 2021 – our major partner East Lindsey District Council remain very supportive with continued investment in Magna Vitae and the Embassy Theatre and are looking to continue this as far as they are able. We hope too, that Arts Council England will also help us to thrive again but in order to do this first we need to survive… to do this we need you to continue showing your support.

If you value the experience and opportunities delivered by the Embassy Theatre, Skegness – please consider donating whatever you feel appropriate (£5, £25, £50, £100) or talk to us about making a legacy donation that could help the Embassy in these financially, very difficult times.

Everything you give will help us prepare to re-open and return to being the glittering jewel in the crown of Skegness seafront once again.

Please help us be here to entertain you again.

We miss you friends.

Pollyanne Trapmore-Shaw
Embassy Theatre Manager

To thrive again, first we must survive.

Text SAVEMYSEAT to 70085 to donate £20
Texts cost £20 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS. If you’d like to give £20 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text SAVEMYSEATNOINFO to 70085.

Share this article